Monday, May 31, 2010

Juliette & Chocolat (and Mr. Steer)

Located at the intersection of Saint Laurent and Prince Arthur in the Plateau of downtown montreal, the adorable Juliette & Chocolat fits right in with the vibrant culture of the city.



The decor of the place is comfortable and relaxing, and it really feels like you're in an elegant chocolate shop when you're inside. The menu includes chocolate drinks and desserts. While I was there, I wanted to try something more unique, so I went with the Balsamico brownie and my friend got the crepe with milk chocolate and fruits:

The Balsamico: Bitter chocolate, raspberries, and sweet balsamic vinegar reduction

The balsamico brownie was really good! I wasn't sure what to expect, since I had never had a brownie with balsamic vinegar in it, but it was actually very tasty. Not only did I enjoy the flavour pairing of the raspberries and balsamic reduction drizzle, but the texture and sweetness of the brownie was JUST RIGHT. It was kind of gooey but not TOO gooey, and the amount of sweetness was to the point that I could enjoy the brownie without having to gulp down large amounts of water. This made me super happy, because a couple days before having this brownie, I had a dessert brownie at Mr. Steer (1198 Rue Saint Catherine Ouest) and the brownie was wayyy to sweet. While Mr. Steer has great burgers (I tried a steerburger and it was delicious!), their dessert brownies are FAR from the calibre of brownies at Juliette & Chocolat. Below are pictures of my burger and dessert brownie at Mr. Steer:


z

I would definitely recommend the balsamico brownie to anyone who plans on going to Juliette & Chocolat. It's unique and tasty, with just the right amount of gooiness and sweetness. If you're not a fan of balsamic vinegar, I'd go for any of their other brownies. The Cranberry-Pistachio one sounds amazing too. As for the crepe, I had a taste of it, and it is VERY chocolate-y. It's probably just as much chocolate as there is crepe, and if you like that much chocolate on your crepe, then you would probably enjoy this! As for Mr. Steer, the burgers are really really good (they claim to have the best burgers in the world), but I'd go somewhere else for dessert.

Salut,
Yumdelayumyum


1 comment: